background

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

And Then There Were Chickens...

How did I let March go by without even a snippet of an update? Oh yeah, it's because we have been GETTING BUSY LIVING, which is exactly what we should all be doing, right? But before I jump on the treadmill {running has been linked with lower chance of cancer recurrence ~ and hey, stress relief!} I do want to go over some of the highlights with you.
  • I had my first 3-month post chemo follow up visit with the Good Doctor. I was really nervous before this appointment, because of not knowing what to expect, but nothing really exciting occurred. We discussed what the follow-up guidelines are for breast cancer, you can read about them here if you feel so inclined. We discussed whether or not I should look into clinical trials {there are some exciting vaccine trials out there and I wanted his opinion} - he said I could if I wanted, but that I was already doing/ had done everything that was tried and true {chemo, surgery, radiation, ovarian suppression, and tamoxifen}. Then he felt up my boobies and sent me on my way to get my herceptin. Just to clarify, because I have been asked this question several times, I get herceptin every 3 weeks for an entire year. This is standard of care for someone who had a slightly positive HER2 tumor. This DOES NOT mean that they didn't get the cancer out at surgery ~ but because there is always the chance of rogue cells floating around, we attack {hopefully nothing} with the herceptin. Most everyone who has had this kind of tumor goes on to do a year of herceptin. I am happy to be getting the herceptin, even if it is mildly annoying to be back in the "spa chair" for a couple of hours every 3 weeks.  
Reading over the ASCO Guidelines while in the ol' herceptin chair.
  • On Thursday, March 6th, I completed radiation therapy. Funny story, I actually THOUGHT I was done the previous Monday ~ I brought them donuts to celebrate and everything ~ turns out I had 3 more treatments left, DOH! Soooooo, when the day finally came, I brought donuts AGAIN, with the caveat that if they told me I wasn't done I was just going to assume it was for the donuts and they weren't getting anymore. ;~) My skin held up well. It got pretty red and then VERY tan and I had a small area that looked like a cigarette burn or something, but now it's basically back to normal. I have my rads follow-up on Thursday, so I am hoping they tell me I am good to go back to normal activities {like swimming b/c I would really like to swim!}.
Me, my radiation diploma and two of my radiation techs.
  • My hair is growing back nicely {brows and lashes included}. I had a major freak out due to the amount of grey that was coming in, so thankfully my sister-in-law's mama colored it for me. You know, so I could be "Brunette to Bald and BACK and hopefully never ever bald again PLEASE!".
Me and my faux hawk ~5-months post finishing chemo
  • Here's one I am REALLY excited about! Upon finishing radiation, I decided it was time to start giving back by helping other women who are caught in this cancer mess. So I went on Facebook with just a tiny mustard seed of an idea, to fill care packages for women who have been diagnosed with cancer and are undergoing treatment, and WOW the response was amazing. My friends and family {and some strangers!} are so darn cool. If you would like to read more about Courage Kits of Kansas City or if you would like to donate or help in any way, please click the link below. {I will try to figure out how to add a permanent button over on the side}
http://www.gofundme.com/7inigc
  •  And finally, the title is going to make sense. WE NOW HAVE CHICKENS! Our city recently revisited it's poultry ordinance and we are now allowed to keep chickens within city limits. We have been hoping this day would come for a while. I am so excited to teach the boys about caring for animals and about where some of our food comes from! We have started on the hen house, which is quite the adventure already considering we are not carpenters, but we remain hopeful that it will be completed before the girls need to move in. :~) Meet Agnes, Elsa, Rosie, and Bertie. Love. edited: I tried to embed a video, it would not work, so for now a photo.


So, I guess that's it for now. Hopefully things stay "medically boring" around here and we can continue living and ENJOYING this life we have been given. Hopefully, in the future, my posts will contain a lot more "charity and chickens" and a lot less cancer. Love to all friends. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment